Sheffield Hallam University is one of the UK’s largest and most diverse universities: a community of more than 30,000 students, 4,000 staff and more than 280,000 alumni around the globe.
Founded in 1843 as the Sheffield School of Design, Sheffield Hallam has exercised a powerful impact on the city, region, nation and world. Today we are one of the UK’s largest and most diverse universities: a community of more than 30,000 students, 4,000 staff and more than 280,000 alumni around the world.
The strength of our student cohort is in its diversity - matched by our commitment as a university to providing opportunity:
• Around 25,000 are undergraduate, 6,000 postgraduate
• Around 40% come from within 25 miles of the university
• Around 10% are international students
• 97% are from state schools or colleges
• 23% are from low participation neighbourhoods - (national average is 12%)
• In 2019/20, 1,300 new students were enrolled from low participation neighbourhoods - the most of any higher education provider in the country
• We were named University of the Year at the UK Social Mobility Awards 2021
Our committed staff provide award-winning teaching and student support for our diverse population of students.
We provide our students with a curriculum designed for collaboration and cross-disciplinary learning, courses which are designed with industry experts, embedded work experience opportunities, digital skills pathways, and placement years. This includes a guarantee that all of our students will gain a placement during their degree through our award-winning Highly Skilled Employability strategy.
This commitment to applied learning and teaching means:
• We are one of the biggest trainers of healthcare staff for the NHS in the country
• We train around 1,000 teachers a year (across degree stages) - with around 600 entering the workforce each year (60% of which in Sheffield City Region)
• We are home to the largest modern business school in the country, with more than 7,000 students from 100 countries, studying at five locations around the globe.
• Our National Centre of Excellence for Degree Apprenticeships has the biggest portfolio of degree apprenticeships in the UK
• We provide around 14,500 health and social care placements a year with local NHS institutions and more than 4,500 per year in education settings
• 94% of students are in work or further study 15 months after graduating, this is more than any other post-1992 university in the country, and second amongst all UK unversities. (Graduate Outcomes Survey 2018-19)
• Student satisfaction score of 70% (National Student Survey, 2021)
• Silver award from the government's Teaching Excellence Framework
• In top 10 European universities for both student engagement and environment by the Times Higher Education Europe Teaching Rankings 2018
• Five stars in the QS Star rating, achieving top marks in the categories of teaching, employability, facilities, innovation and inclusiveness
• We were named Outstanding Entrepreneurial University at the THE Awards 2021